After speaking to the careers advisor she gave me some great links to research my options for finding a course abroad. so i have started sieving through these links to find relevant courses. this shall take some time.
I had a look into what studying in Korea may require or might be like. this article is very good as jumping off point: Want to Study Abroad in Korea? 14 Things to Expect. The language issue is up in the air, and not entirely clear i need to do more research. If the language does become an issue, i can either look elsewhere or really consider learning it and pushing the course back.
here it says: Americans are treated with extreme hospitality in South Korea, and with so many English-speaking Koreans, the language barrier is quickly eroding, and students who study abroad in South Korea will definitely benefit from it. Getting around South Korea is easy, which is fortunate since there are so many wonderful places to see!
Its going to be a MASSIVE culture shock for me, and from what i have read, south Korea, is a touch more a-tuned to westerners more than other asian locales. korean design and artistry is just beautiful, I remember seeing the large Korean moon jar in the V&A museum in london and being so excited by it, you just don’t see ceramic like that everyday, and there is ALOT of ceramic to see everyday. Seoul seems to be a growing technological city as well. and how beautiful is Koreas nature!
I found a site where you can arrange meet ups with people who speak the same language. even though from what I’ve read, english speaking is certainly on the rise. http://www.meetup.com/Languagecast/
Notable South Korean artists/ Designers
Doh-Ho Suh is firmly locked in the fine artist category for me, but thats ok, his stuff is still so exciting such a wonderful celebration of art, i love it, and its so fresh! I feel like some of his work i would align with y own in that they are really embedded in there fictions.
I just want to mention that Samsungs’ design has been.. lax for a good long while, but i m finding there new stuff to be more material conscious and just more daring and more beautiful than before, best example that galaxy s6 Edge phone.
I have found 2 courses so far, and from there descriptors they seem promising.
Seung Yong Song
Seung Yong Song is an up and coming furniture designer whos making a name for himself in the world of furniture design.
Design – Seoul National University
this quote got me: “to train creative designers of the 21st century” and “to become a global cradle for creating novel design value.”
This course seems to have a product design feel to it, but seems to have a good approach and that coupled with there facilities may be a good fit for me.
• Mock-up Production using CNC machine and RP machine
• UX Lab in which usability evaluation and interview recordings are possible
• Large size photo printer which covers up to A0 size banners
• Computer room which allows more than 30 people to research with computers
• Large lecture room which is able to hold multi-media classes for around 100 people
• Classrooms, equipped with 60 inches LED monitors or wired projectors
• S&D Hall for design exhibitions, conferences and workshops
• Every kind of digital equipment that can be rented to students
Craft – Seoul National University
Craft is actually split into 2 majors, Ceramics which appears to have all the facilities i’m used to and a few more things from the looks of it. and the other major is metalwork and jewellery, now here are some exciting toys, metal work chemical lab. blacksmithing workshop and forging machine aren’t a bad start.
– Studios for each grade, equipped with personal work tables and shelves, clay extractor,
clay mixer, electronic wheel and heating/cooling systems.
– Product ceramic studio, equipped with vacuum blunger for plaster, drying system, plaster
wheel, plaster level system, solid casting system and blunger.
– Outdoor firewood kiln and kiln studio, equipped with various sizes of gas kilns, electronic
control kilns and a traditional kiln.
– Outdoor studio, equipped with poteumil, spray booth, glaze remover and glaze grinder.
– Soil mulch removing lab, equipped with clay mixer and clay extractor.
– Glazes lab, equipped with electronic scale and various equipments for experiments.
[Metalwork and Jewelry Major]
– Metalwork studio for doctoral course.
– Metalwork chemical Lab, equipped with electroforming and anodizing machine.
– Metalwork studio for master course.
– Metalwork studio for undergraduate course.
– Metalwork workshop, equipped with laser welder, casting, and rolling mill.
– Metal-forming workshop, equipped with TIG welder, MIG welder.
– Blacksmithing workshop, equipped with forging machine.
emerging artists in korea:
Study Support centre in Korea: